Monday, September 05, 2005

you're coming in loud and stupid.

I wasn't going to share the exchange because that's a behavior even too snarky for me. But now i can't help it. It all started when I read an entry on a blog and responded. In fact, I wrote about it.

Well, the blog author responded to me, via e-mail. Here's how the exchange went.

She said: Excuse me. I’m talking about a larger phenomenon of fatherlessness and lack of law-abiding men in the black community that played itself out in the context of this disaster. I am black and I live in the black community. What are your credentials?

And I certainly hope you are writing similar missives chastising those who are rescuing these defenseless women and children and old people for being racist.


I responded: I love it when you throw the race card at me. It's honestly cute how you do that. Whether I'm black, blue, white, yellow, whatever, doesn't matter. The "what are your credentials" nonsense is a clever ploy to go "one-up" on others. It's a cheap cop-out to attempt to dismiss me and my views. My race doesn't really matter here because I'm not angry at the survivors. I just want them taken to safety first, moral lectures later. But hey, that's just me.

The "larger issues," as you said, is certainly a worthy discussion. One from which I have never shied or dismissed (even though I'm white and single with no kids...but I suppose you'll question my "cred" when I say something you don't like, right?). But that discussion is COMPLETELY out of context in relation to the rescue efforts here. We don't take a time out to yell at a family about fire safety while their house is burning down, do we? Let's get the people out of harm's way before we pick them apart, eh?

The notion of "being a man" may have been a starting point. But after three or four days without food or water? The survivors were up against something most of us can't even begin to comprehend. Given that, to pull a person to safety while simultaneously playing armchair quarterback is bad form.

Just as your point that people were "able" enough to loot so they must've been able enough to protect. What the? That pretty much makes my point: you cast out the whole over the actions of a few. Yeah, there were people taking advantage of the situation, which is horrible and unforgivable. But there also were people going door to door to check on neighbors. Heroes don't wear red capes and can't look after everyone. And criminals certainly don't take breaks for random acts of kindness. It sucks. I hate it. But we can't do anything about that. And I don't equate surviving -- which is all most people were trying
to do in the dome -- with allowing rapes and crime. I would imagine fear reigned supreme in the dome, unfortunately. And I certainly can't fault people who were just trying to hang on for being scared.

> And I certainly hope you are writing similar missives chastising those who
> are rescuing these defenseless women and children and old people for being
> racist.

You'll have to clarify your point here, as I've made no claim to racism and certainly didn't intimate that. I never played the race card as you did, directly at me. But I guess I have no "credentials" simply based on the color of my skin, right?

Just today, she comes back with NON SEQUITUR THEATRE!!!

Kevvy,

If, like me, you live in a black community that has a large-scale fatherless and gang problem, then you are right: it doesn't matter what color you are. You can see the problem up close every day.

Do you?

And as for the looters, it's pretty simple: hungry and thirsty people don't steal TV sets. It's not a moral law, but the law of biology. One need fuel for the body to have the energy to do strenuous thing like steal electronics from stores or terrorize his own people.

Stop having lower expectations of behavior for black people (and poor ones.) We're human also.


My initital thought: What. The. Fuck?!?!? But I composed myself and responded:

Wow, you are clearly working off your own script and aren't even listening to me. Do you have the same luck trying to draw blood from a turnip?

I merely discussed what I observed as survival behavior of those who lived through a devastating natural disaster. Of course, given your skewed logic, since I myself did not ever live through such a circumstance nullifies anything I might say.

I never made any assumptions or inferences about anybody based upon race in this situation. That's your small cage, not mine. For you to wag your finger at me and lecture me over something I never said tells me that you are choosing to not hear a word I've said just so you take time to spout off. Seriously, are we working off the same script here?

I never said or inferred having "lower expectation" of black people. In fact, it strikes me it was you who did that, not me. I looked at the behavior of people stranded in New Orleans as survivors. But you obviously chose to not even try and hear my point.

The best you can do is try to re-direct and make things up that I never said to bolster your case, whatever said case that may be.

Your accusations against me are completely baseless.YOu do not have the luxury of making me out to be the villain in your little scenario because I simply never said any of the things of which you accuse me.

As near as I can tell the minute I say something you don't like you spin it into a race thing; creating the inference out of thin air. You might have a career in ventriloquism, but for the fact that my lips aren't moving when you're trying to make your words come out of me.

So kindly take your finger-wagging bulls@#t out of my inbox.

----------------------------------

I'd compare the conversation to one with a tree, but even the tree doesn't get delusional and make shit up along the way.

I used to be somewhat intimidated by the thought of engaging with blogger-pundits. Clearly I don't need to be intimidated as much as I just need to have a blatant disregard for what they say. I suppose I should've just answered her with JELL-O! because that makes about as much sense as the nonsense she was saying to me.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com