Wednesday, August 04, 2004

the boss & co. vs. dubya, coming to your city soon.

I just read about the anti-Dubya fundraising tour that will take place in about two months. The "Vote for Change" tour will play 34 shows in 28 cities from October 1-8.

The artists, touring under the "Vote for Change" banner, will play 34 shows in 28 cities between Oct. 1-8. The tour will gather the music industry's liberal heavyweights, with Bruce Springsteen being the heaviest of them all. The Dixie Chicks, REM, Dave Matthews, Pearl Jam and John Mellencamp are among the many performers.

Their goal is clear and direct: defeat George W. Bush. In my lifetime I can't recall a time when so many popular, mainstream musicians joined together to make a strident political statement.


Music for the Blue States. The Vote for Change Tour is coming to the battleground states.

While I've always known the politics of most of these performers were left-leaning, I was surprised that Springsteen has, for the first time, taken such a strident stance. Until recently, he had supressed his views. The first inkling that Bruce was going to speak out was after the Dixie Chicks hullabaloo. He spoke out in their defense.

The tour will do big business, no doubt. What I wonder, though, is if it'll alienate the artists' fan bases. After all, when Mellencamp released his protest song, "To Washington," the backlash here in his home state of Indiana was very strong.

I honestly wonder what would happen if a group of musicians chose to hold a pro-Bush fundraising tour. Would liberal fans abandon them as well? My hope is no. Just as I hope conservative-minded fans of Pearl Jam, Bruce, Mellencamp, et al, respectfully disagree with the views of the artists. I have no problem if a person chooses to not see their favorite artist on this tour because they disagree with the politics behind it; but leave the protest at that.

Here's how I look at it: I've always liked Ah-nold long before he became the Governator of California. I've always liked Tim Allen. I've always liked Bruce Willis. And each of them is widely known for being conservatives. If they choose to support the Republican party with their money and their public voices, fine by me. I have the ability to disagree with their personal politics but enjoy their movies and such.

I wonder if conservatives will respectfully disagree with the folks on the Vote for Change tour, or make the same stupid, bullshit gestures they made against the Dixie Chicks. The intolerance of opposing views these days is sad. The first person that busts out the neocon talking points -- sedition, treason, aid and comfort to the enemy -- is going to get a six-pack of WhoopAss.

On that same token, liberals need to be tolerant of conservative viewpoints out there. So when the crackback comes -- and it will -- don't take the bait.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com