Wednesday, March 30, 2005

a day in the life of indiana politics.

The Hoosier State of Mind made some national news today as the state legislation takes up a couple key bills. First, Daylight Savings Time has cleared its first hurdle en route to gaining passage. To all my friends from anywhere but here: trust me, I don't get it either. Indiana can be peculiar about certain things (such as buying beer on Sunday). I digress.

For reasons unbeknownst to me, this became a real red-vs.-blue-but-not-really sort of thing. The battle lines were peculiar and stupid, really. Democrats decided it was their turn to stand against the evil DST bill on the merits that it'll be bad for farmers. To which I say: what the hell makes Indiana's farmers so special compared to the rest of the farmers in DST-observing states?

Either way, the bill cleared committee and could come to the floor for a vote on Tuesday. I sincerely hope it passes. There may be a provision, stipulating some study is compiled about which time zone Indiana should permanently join. For whatever reason, that has become the greater issue. I suppose I should be pleased the paradigm has shifted away from a largely yes vs. no argument to a central vs. eastern debate. You have to take progress wherever you can find it, eh?

I think the Democrats were wrongheaded to walk out of the House a few weeks ago and jeopardize so many bills. Just because the Republicans grandstanded in the same ridiculous fashion a year ago does not make this a viable ploy, if you ask me. Get your ass back in there and get back to work, I say!

The other, more national story du j'our concerns voting and showing proper ID at the polls.

Republicans are all for it. Democrats are all against it. They argue it is a return to Jim Crow.

Hmm. Boy, I'm going to need a little time on that one.

I remember the first time I voted, back in 1992. I was somewhat befuddled that I wasn't even asked to show as much as my voter registration card at my polling place. In fact, I don't think I've ever been asked to present it. The Republicans feel a requirement to present valid ID will reduce voter fraud. That seems reasonable to me.

The Democrats say this will further disenfranchise minorities and under-represented populations.

Perhaps this is where the Dems start to lose me. "It's to break the spirit of the homeless, it's to break the spirit of the have-nots," complained Rep. Gregory Porter, a black Democrat from Indianapolis.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. Sorry, Greg, but having to show valid ID to vote is not unreasonable. I do think, however, the argument that attaining proper ID must be more available is also necessary. There's a happy middleground to be had, here. And if the Democrats were smart -- and they sometimes leave me wondering -- they'd shore up their voter drives by making sure everybody has a valid ID.

So, to all my conservative friends who so often accuse me of being a liberal Democrat, just be aware that I put my support behind both of these Republican bills.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com