Tuesday, September 13, 2005

another way to look at it.

I grew up a Detroit Tigers fan. Yes, this is relevant. As a Tigers fan, I listened to a lot of baseball games. Jack Morris was an ace Detroit pitcher for many years. But he also had a reputation for being selfish and had a bit of an "all about me" complex. During one particular game (the dates and opponents escape me) Tigers manager Sparky Anderson came out to the mound to talk to Morris, who was struggling. During the conversation, Morris to Sparky that it was the pitching coach's fault that he wasn't pitching well. Or something like that. Either way, the point is Jack Morris didn't own up to his own problems.

Sparky barked Morris off the mound, pulled him immediately from the game and wen to the pen. Why? Because Morris passed the buck.

Fans, for the most part, sided with Sparky I'm sure. Nobody likes a crybaby. Nobody likes someone passing the buck. And this illustrates why people are so irate with the federal government. We're sick and tired of the Bush administration constantly saying it was somebody else's fault. I wish people would demand greater accountability of our elected officials than we do our sports teams.

Bush adopted Harry Truman's policy of never taking off his coat in the Oval Office, which is superficial and window-dressing, at best. I would be nice if Dubya adopted Truman's policy of "the buck stops here."

I suppose we have a better chance of Harry Truman coming back to life and assuming the powers of the presidency, though.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com