Thursday, August 12, 2004

pressing the shiny, red button; the jolly, candy-like button.

Here's a quick riff I posted to a very lively message board from my hometown. It's the Town Talk Forum of the Bay City Times. The topic was gay marriage...that's not a hot-button issue, is it? :-p

marriage vs. civil union

The problem, as I see it, is there's a great deal of melding between the "sanctity" of marriage and all the legal ramifications. I haven't done a great deal of research into the legal differences between 'marriage' and 'civil union', but would be very curious to see what and if there are differences between the two.

In some states you're considered married if you buy property together. Many states, like my current home state of Indiana, have provisions for civil unions for gay couples.

DrPlato hinted at the spousal rights inherently granted in a marriage. I think those and the financial aspects are part of why gay couples would choose marriage; but I also leave a great deal of room to allow that the couple loves one another.

Personally speaking, I don't mind if a gay couple gets married. It doesn't matter to me. I don't feel it treads upon anybody else's right if they marry. Do I find it weird? Well, sure I do; and I do understand why many people are opposed to it.

I think I'm not offended by it because I view the religious ceremony as one version of marriage.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com