Thursday, September 15, 2005

time to deliver.

I felt I owed it to the president to watch his speech tonight, given how critical I've been of him over the years. His speech was as I expected: on message, focused, well-versed, and largely devoid of any grandstanding. At least that's how I saw it. The problem is -- and no, I can't get past it -- is he shoud've delivered this address on no later than the Wednesday that followed the breaching of the levees. He should've done it from the ruins of New Orleans while a swift and secure evacuation was underway. (sorry, I'm wearing my PR hat just now)

I don't doubt rebuilding efforts will be successful in New Orleans. I'm also in favor of encouraging entrepreneurship at all levels, as well as home ownership. But the key will be to stay on those business owners to hire people. And it's also going to be incumbent upon those who are impoverished to take advantage of this initiative.

I'm not saying it's a cure-all, of course. But I do think there's a chance here to see if we can glean a model of community revitalization from this humongous social experiment in New Orleans.

You could say I largely appreciated what the president had to say tonight. But this is certainly not the end of the chapter. It's really only the beginning. It's our job as citizens to hold elected officials accountable for the things they promise. The president is no different. Since he's term-limited, perhaps a better way to view it is this way: the presidency is no different.

So yeah, Mr. President, you said the right things tonight. And that's a good first step. You finally fell on your sword. And you did so in a constructive manner. I'm good with that.

But again, let's see if you deliver.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com