Monday, August 30, 2004

wake me when it's november 3rd.

I have watched a total of zero hours of the Republican National Convention. Not because I have already declared I'll be voting for John Kerry; but because, as mentioned, party circle jerks don't do it for me.

I did catch a bit of radio coverage before John McCain spoke, though, where I heard a Republican delegate refer to Dubya as a "moderate conservative."

I nearly choked on my sandwich.

Moderate conservative? Are you fucking kidding me???? Bush is, unlike any other recent president, in the back pocket of hardline Christian Coalitioners.

It is because of this unholy alliance that the top issues in this election are: stem cell research, gay marriage, abortion.

Oh wait. I would be happy if more people were talking about that. Instead, they're too busy tonguing Bush, calling him a "strong leader" for his war in Iraq. I suppose picking a fight with the weakling of the Arab world makes you a strong leader. I suppose Bush is a "strong leader" for declaring MISSION ACCOMPLISHED long before the fucking mission was accomplished.

I guess, as it is with the Swift Boat Liars, if you tell a lie long enough and often enough it becomes the truth.

The smartest thing I've heard so far in the coverage was from radio host Kim Serafin, who hopes for a Guiliani-McCain ticket (flip that around, in my opinion) in 2008.

What so many neocons and uber-righties don't get is that the vast majority of us in the middle will vote for Republicans AND Democrats (bipartisanship is the way to go, contrary to what ubers to the left and right would like to believe). Those of us who have declared support for Kerry have done so because we, bluntly put, do not like this president.

Many Republicans are dumbfounded by the out and out hatred toward Bush. Personally, I find that to be duplicitous and disingenuous stance, considering how much shit they threw at Clinton for eight solid years in the name of Democracy. I have never understood why Bush supporters treat him as though he's made of glass and his hands-off. I digress.

Nobody is saying Kerry is going to be the ultimate answer. The reason we're voting for Kerry has as much to do with him as much as it does not wanting four more years of a myopic, non-visionary administration.

The reason the chasm has gotten so wide between the two sides can be traced right back to the last presidential election. This nation needed an olive branch from the newly-elected Bush to the left. And the left needed to join in with both hands on patching it up. That never happened.

It's time for him to go.

Sidenote: I'm watching some clips of the convention and the speakers are spending time raising their deflector shields. So far, they've been defensive. Interesting.

I'll be so glad when November 3rd is here.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com