Friday, October 29, 2004

agreeing to disagree.

Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling canceled a scheduled upcoming appearance with President Bush, citing his ankle injury as the reason. He also went on to apologize for publicly endorsing Bush in an interview he gave on Thursday.

"While I am a Bush supporter, and I did vote for him with an absentee ballot, speaking as I did the other day was wrong. While I hope to see him re-elected, it's not my place, nor the time for me to offer up my political opinions unsolicited," Schilling stated in an e-mail posted to a message board.

So this is what it's come to? People apologizing for stating their political views? How sad.

I have no problem with any person wearing their views on their sleeve. Unlike many on the right, I do believe all Americans -- yes, even those in "liberal Hollywood" -- are not over-stepping their bounds when they speak out. Ditto goes for Curt Schilling.

Sure, I don't think he should wear a Dubya button while on the hill at Fenway; but his occupation is quite a bit different than that of a musician. Musicians are afforded a certain level of flakiness not found in too many other professions. Well, outside of Starbucks, that is.

Even movie stars don't have that latitude, no matter how liberal or conservative they are.

So go ahead, Curt Schilling, and endorse Bush all you want. While I completely disagree with you on this one, it doesn't mean I like or respect you any less.

I just wonder how many conservatives can do the same with the likes of the Dixie Chicks, Bruce Springsteen, et al.

It's time to let people speak their minds and agree that it's okay to disagree.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com