Sunday, October 31, 2004

who i'm voting for, and why.

In less than two days, we will wake up knowing who will occupy the Oval Office for the next four years. Hopefully. More importantly, crucial Congressional and Senate races are also taking place. So when we go to the polls on Tuesday, let's not forget those other races.

For those of you in Indiana, here are the much-anticipated fourth-estate.org endorsements:

President

That's a no-brainer to anybody who knows me. When George W. Bush came into office four years ago, I told myself I would give him an opportunity to earn my vote in 2k4. Thus far, he has not. Senator Kerry brings a better plan for re-engaging the world community with the U.S. He has a better handle on the issues. He understands the nonsense of widening the chasm between liberals and conservatives. He may not be the best candidate, but we need a change.

Bush's presidency is frought with a phony war that is becoming a catastrophe, rising deficits, stupid tax cuts, compromised civil liberties, and an overall fear-mongering tone.

It's time for change.

My endorsement: John Kerry

Indiana Governor

This is truly a tough call. joe Kernan, the incumbent, has only been governor for a little over a year (succeeding Frank O'Bannon when he died unexpectedly). Kernan became the reluctant candidate, since he had previously bowed out of the race. His Repbublican opponent, Mitch Daniels, has deep ties to both Indiana (as former CEO of Eli Lilly) and the president (as Bush's budget director). He has deep pockets, too. He earned over $27 million in 2001.

Kernan carries a lot of baggage. The state fell into a deficit after having a $2 billion surplus. It happened on his watch and nobody's happy about that.

Daniels, though a seemingly genuine and sincere man, has that feel of being a "hired gun" by Bushies to extend Dubya's reach. For a guy like me, that's a problem. While he's had the occasional good idea, he also has his own skeletons (as overplayed by anti-Mitch ads).

To a certain degree, I believe change is good. But I'm just not ready to pull the lever for Mitch Daniels. So Joe Kernan is going to get my vote, but he'll have to earn it next time.

My endorsement: Joe Kernan (tepidly)

Senate

Former Indiana Governor Evan Bayh has just served his first term as a senator. The moderate Democrat is a darling in the Hoosier state and is quickly getting some looks on the national level. While I disagreed with his position on the Iraq war, I applaud him for voting no on the gay marriage amendment.

His opponent, Marvin Scott, is a respected Butler University professor, but that's all I know of him. Hell, Richard Lugar didn't even endorse him!

Evan Bayh has represented his constituents well, and I see no reason to change course now.

My endorsement: Evan Bayh

Congress

In every election when I've lived in Indiana, Julia Carson has gotten my vote. The four-term Democrat has been a true, liberal voice in the House and I've always appreciated her for that.

However, her health caused her to miss many votes; a fact not lost on her challenger, Andy Horning.

She also blew off local debates in this election year. I've never liked elected officials blowing off an opportunity to face the opposition.

Being that her recent behavior has made me unenthused, I went to Andy Horning's Web site to get a read on him. Right on cue, he's playing that "my opponent is a scary liberal" card. And then I read his "newspaper" on the Web site.

I simply cannot vote for a man so elementary in his thinking.

And oh yeah, Julia Carson is FOR Daylight Savings Time! That alone gets my vote.

My endorsement: Julia Carson...barely.

Wow. This if the first time I've gone for a clean-sweep with Democrats. Usually I sprinkle in a Republican or Libertarian. Not this year, I guess.

Nov. 2nd is election day. Vote.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com